Tuesday, March 8, 2011

B-Day?

The day has finally arrived. The anniversary of my mother telling my dad NO MORE CHILDREN! A quarter of a century ago I was hanging out breathing a watery substance when I was told by my mother and doctors I couldn’t loiter any longer. Born as an obese baby with nearly 0 muscle, there was no way I was gonna attract the other babies in the hospital. Fast forward 25 years and here we are, Mr. Brian Halbach in Bosa Sardinia doing alright. As much as it is suppose to be a day of appreciation for me being born, it is more a thank you to those who made me. Luckily for me, the town of Bosa held a party in my honor and called it carnival. The day started out great with sunshine and smiles. We did some work outside and got our fair share of vitamin D. Lunch was tasty and so was dinner. Silvia made a cake that was just to die for. It was time for craziness and excitement, or so I thought. Silvia took me to her friend Lelo and Maria’s house for some pre wine partying. Our next door neighbors were also there with their ten year old son. We were welcomed with open arms and kisses on the cheeks. Not the kind of cheeks that dogs kiss when they greet each other though. We sat down and the drinks and conversations were flowing with the excitement of the Mississippi river. If you do not understand this reference then ride the Mississippi and try not to fall asleep. For nearly 2 hours the Italian adults talked among themselves in their native language. You know how people often say “I wish I were a fly on the wall for that”, well I got to be a fly without the wings and sticky 6 legs. Not as much fun as you might think it would be. The funniest part was the son was drawing anything he could see and was looking for his next subject. His parents willingly offered me to his artistic eye. I thought why not, I haven’t moved for 1 hour, might as well stay like this and get a ten year old to tell me which facial characteristics stick out the most. 45 minutes later there is a picture of me with a droopy eye, big ears, and super weak arms. The picture is actually much better then I let on. I will try to post it at some point.
Midnight was reached and it was time to go see the rest of Bosa. We walked through the town in the bitter cold. The streets were packed with thousands of people dressed in crazy crazy outfits. Unlike American Halloween, sluttiness and pop culture isn’t the key ingredient to costume cooking. We walked around and found the block party where a DJ had the crowd bouncing. Silvia and I stood in the back kind of dancing and checking out the crowd. People came up to her that she knew and got lost in conversation. I figured this was my perfect chance to get away and get some good ole fashion dancing in. I squeezed my way into the crowd and tried to start moving. A crowd is like an undertow, you fight it and you will get tired and die. I let the people push me to and fro until I was near the stage. After a little dancing on my own it was time to go to sleep. At my age you just can’t stay up all night like you can when you are 24.

Moral of the story, be glad you don’t remember your birth, it would probably traumatize you.

No comments:

Post a Comment