Friday, April 8, 2011

When The Moon Hits Your Eye Like A Big Pizza Pie...

A long day of travels took me to Alghero, a city a couple hours away from Bosa. The buses don’t run after 9 at night, so it was up to me to find an extremely last minute hostel that would be easy access and close to the bus station. So as I was walking to the closest McDonalds for their good wifi and tasty heart attacks a fellow strolled up to me and offered me a room for 25 Euros overlooking the entire ocean. It was only a couple blocks away from the bus station. I tried to dip into the skeptical side of me, but I found out I wasn’t born with that specific bone. With extreme excitement that I just got a great deal for an apartment over night I hoped in his very clean car and we took to the road. A couple minutes later I was inside a wonderfully big apartment that is actually bigger than the place in Bosa. He handed me the key and explained how to use it. I am not very familiar with the use of keys, so it was good that he told me that you put the mountain side up and then twist. I was just gonna hold the key next to the lock and hope it opened on its own.
I dropped my stuff off on my bed and took to the streets to find something to eat. As I left the building the kind sir was there to give me another lesson in key use. He assured me that the key to the building worked exactly the same as the one into my room. Phew…I can only take so much information at once. The city seemed quite dead, but I walked around and found an open pizzeria anyway. I ordered a random pizza off the menu and a water. The cook lead me to the bar where I could pay and wait for the pizza. As I walked in, there was a few men and a woman behind the bar. A midget of the group gave me a handshake and asked if I spoke English. I told him I was American, so barely. He loved talking to Americans because we are looser with our language. He said British people were very funny in the way they talk and hard to understand(he then gave a funny impersonation I don’t think I could ever copy). He then told me of his dreams of going to Las Vegas so he could take some of the money they have their home with him. I told him that was quite a few people’s dreams going there. I am not sure people go there dreaming to lose money, they just expect it. The pizza came out and I wished them a pleasant fair well. As I walked out of the building I realized I had a monster pizza and that I couldn’t eat it all. So I walked back into the bar and told everyone to have a piece. Without a moments delay, the midget man that could speak English dove right in. Others were reluctant, but eventually gave in. I now had roughly 6 people standing around me asking the man questions to ask me. I felt like I was on Opera and she let the crowd submit questions. We had some good laughs and some good eats but it was eventually time to go. That night I was offered a place to sleep if I was ever in Alghero and had no bed. Gotta love the locals…

Moral of the story, if you got a piece, share a piece…

No comments:

Post a Comment